Wednesday, August 26, 2009

waiting for my code to crash

So I'm trying to debug a piece of code. It is really complicated (I didn't write it) and has lots of subroutines that take complicated inputs generated by earlier parts. So it is hard to run the subroutines separately, so I have to run the whole thing and sit and wait for it to crash. Then I try to fix the cause of the crash, start it again, and wait for the next crash.

So I'm sitting here bored most of the time and wanted to find something productive to do, so I googled " debugging doing something while waiting " or something like that (without those quote marks of course). Of the hits that returned that looked like what I was interested in, five of the six were blogs. Not that they gave any productive suggestions, but apparently writing the blog was filling the time for them. So here I am, writing for the first time in a long time. If any one reads this, do you have any good suggestions? Nothing too complicated since I will (hopefully) be switching back from it frequently while debugging.

No comments: