Thursday, March 25, 2010

PIZZA WEEK!

So this post is out of character compared to the others, and I actually thought of making a separate blog for it, but I decided as infrequently as I post to the blog I already have, I might as well continue. The idea was to make a post each day to help me write more regularly. I at least tried the first day but couldn't remember my blog password. Well, after a week I am doing one single post. So here we go . . . .





I like pizza. I've also come up with creative twists on the pizza theme, such as Pizza Soup and Pizza Bread. So at some point I decided to try to eat pizza every day of the week, trying different variations so that things wouldn't get old. I started last Thursday, having had corned beef and cabbage for St. Patty's day on Wednesday. This is what we had.



Day 1: "Normal" Pizza







Mostly normal at least. One pepperoni pizza (the only way one of my son's likes pizza), one supreme (pepperoni, sausage, red and green bell pepper, and onions), and a small white pizza (to use up some alfredo sauce in the fridge). Pizza crust was made from Betty Crocker pizza mix pouches, and cheese was mozzerella.




Day 2: Barbeque Pizza





Crust made from roll dough, sauce was half of a small can of tomato sauce and an equal amount of barbeque sauce mixed with shredded hickory smoked chicken. Mozzerella cheese and sliced smoked sausage went on top.




Day 3: Pasta Pizza




This was my wife's night to cook. Cooked rotini noodles are dumped on a cookie sheet, with pizza sauce, cheese, and sausage put on top to look like a pizza. Follows the theme but is a little different.




Day 4: Pizza Sandwiches




Hoagie rolls split in half work as the crust. Pizza sauce, cheese, pepperoni and maybe red bell peppers on top. Can be eaten as open faced sandwiches (like a pizza) or folded up and eaten like a sandwich.




Day 5: Mexican Pizzas




Corn bread is cooked in a round pan for the crust. Tomato sauce with cumin and a little chili powder goes on top with taco cheese, red peppers, and smoked sausage.




Day 6: Pizza pockets (calzones)


I made a couple larger calzones, essentially made like a pepperoni pizza that is then folded on itself and pinched together at the edges. I also made a few kolache like with a small stick of pepperoni folded into a small chunk of dough with cheese and maybe sauce. A few had some broccoli chunks in there too.




Day 7: Pizza cookie


It was my wife's night to cook again, and in case she forgot to make something pizza like I planned on it for dessert. It turned out she wasn't feeling well, so I baked some leftover rotini with sauce and cheese and then made dessert.




The crust was a large sugar cookie, with red frosting for the sauce. I wanted to shave white chocolate on top to look like cheese, but the closest I found was a cookies and cream, which turned out to have more black cookie chunks then I expected. I cut up some sour cherry balls to look like pepperoni, but they kind of smashed as I cut them and didn't look as pepperoni-like as I hoped. But it tasted yummy!




So there you have it. We had pizza every day this week without getting bored or even resorting to some of my more exotic ideas.

No comments: